Thursday, October 30, 2008

Day 14 Guangzhou/Hong Kong

What a day! We had the swearing in ceremony at the US consulate today with about 30 other families. The gentleman who led the ceremony did a nice job and gave a little talk about the wide range of families who were there to adopt. California and Colorado had the most families today. Gage did not seem to have any idea what was going on and he really wanted to play his Gameboy, but I coaxed it away from him for the meeting. We were asked to raise our right hands to promise that everything we had put in our documents was correct - as if there is any way at all you can cheat this system! We were lucky that it went fairly quickly because we were hoping to catch the 5:05 train to Hong Kong. We made it in plenty of time thanks to our efficients guides.

Hong Kong is really indescribable. We got out onto the walkway along Victoria Harbor in time to see the multimedia show which includes individual buildings doing light shows at various times. There is music and an announcer and it is all quite marvelous. There are so many beautiful buildings all around the harbor and they are lit up like daylight. There are also boats crusing around the harbor with decorative lights. We did a little walking in the shopping areas and ate in a food court.

The business center is closing and we don't have internet in our room so I need to make this brief. We will be up at 4:45 to catch the airport bus at 5:30 and will fly into LAX via Tokyo. Gage is really looking forward to getting to the United States and hasn't showed any remorse about leaving China. Our flight gets in to LAX at about 9:30 Friday morning the 31st. When Gage places his foot on American soil, he will become an American Citizen! What an incredible day tomorrow will be!

Thanks for all of your good wishes and prayers. We will post when we get home and will share the Hong Kong pictures with you.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Congratulations Bauer Family!!!!

I want to thank you for allowing me to follow you on this wonderful journey and to be a part of Gage's new life journey. I am so very happy for this sweet boy who has waited so long for his very own Forever Family.

Good Luck to you all and have a safe trip home.

Lisa (AH/Heritage)

Kimberly said...

Welcome to California, Gage! I wish you the brightest future with your new family!!

Carmi said...

I am so happy for you all and I can't wait to see Gage on American soil. I am so happy that he is excited to be coming home forever!

Jan said...

Oh my God, I can't believe that today is the day you are a complete family at home. Marv was kind enough to forward me you blog as I hadn't received the e-mail. I have been thinking about you and praying that all is well in your process. It looks like all the patience and hard work is paying off. I will thin about you as you settle in with Gage and hope to fill you in more about me later. Love, Jan